Department: Audit and Assurance Services
Immediate Supervisor: depends upon the client engagement
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Staff Auditor is responsible for planning and performing audits to include work paper preparation, drafting audit documents, and preparation of tax returns for audit clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Staff Auditor
- Draft planning letters or workpapers for next level review and set up the current year audit file (manual and electronic binders).
- Become proficient at utilizing ProSystems Engagement (epace), the audit software used by T&T and ProSystems Tax, the tax software used by T&T for tax preparation.
- Download the client’s trial balance and group accounts for financial statement lines using epace.
- Prepare audit workpapers as instructed by the engagement in-charge while at client site during audit fieldwork or as assigned while in the office.
- Assist engagement in-charge with wrap-up after audit fieldwork to include finalizing workpapers and preparing financial statements and related audit letters for presentation to engagement Manager or Partner for review.
- Obtain necessary information and prepare client’s Form 990, 990-T and state return (or other returns as described in the governing client engagement letter).
- Assist with other client services as outlined in the T&T engagement letter and proposal submitted to the client.
- Review draft audit documents for errors to include checking arithmetic, agreeing footnotes to financial statements, and proof reading.
- No formal classroom setting is provided for training an individual for this position. Instead, on the job training is provided by the engagement in-charge.
Required Qualifications of the Staff Auditor
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. A service mentality and a basic understanding of accounting debits and credits. Ability to work independently on assignments and address issues or questions with engagement in-charge. Strong time management, organizational abilities, attention to detail, communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
A recent college or university graduate is preferred. Some work experience to include summer employment or internships. For the staff auditor position, work experience does not need to be financial or accounting in nature.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge and demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of Staff Auditor. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This description is intended to provide an overview of the responsibilities and duties of the position. It is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. The responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract. Tate & Tryon is an at-will employer.