CPA, MS, Managing Partner
Tate & Tryon
2021 L Street, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
Charles Tate's QR Code
CPA, MS, Managing Partner
Download QR Reader app for your smart phone.
Professional Associations ASAE - The Center for Association Leadership Greater Washington Society of CPAs The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
Volunteer Activities Member of the ASAE Public Policy Committee Past Treasurer, Yellow Ribbon Fund Past President of the Greater Washington Society of CPAs Former Member, AICPA Tax-Exempt Organizations Committee Former Audit Committee Member, Chevy Chase Village Municipal Government Past Chair, Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Washington, DC Past Treasurer, Columbia Country Club
Education, Licenses & Certifications M.S., Finance, American University B.S. Accounting, Indiana University of Pennsylvania CPA licensed in the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland CFP – Certified Financial Planner CLU – Certified Life Underwriter
Charles Tate is the Firm’s managing partner and has over 35 years of experience working with nonprofit organizations. Prior to forming the Firm, he worked in the Washington, DC office of Ernst & Young, LLP where he began working with nonprofit organizations. Mr. Tate has provided audit, tax, and consulting services to a wide range of tax exempt organizations including associations, professional societies, cultural, educational, scientific, research, and advocacy organizations.
Mr. Tate works directly with the management and boards of hundreds of organizations in helping them assess and improve key aspects of the organization’s financial governance, strategy, and operation such as:
- Establishing critical links among the key elements of the strategic, operational, financial, reserve, and investment plans;
- Development of guidelines for financial oversight by top management and the board of directors based on practices employed by hundreds of similar organizations;
- Establishing and benchmarking key performance indicators based on financial and non-financial criteria; and
- Enhancement of the internal control design and structure utilizing the five key elements described in the COSO framework.
He is a regular presenter to the Greater Washington Society of CPAs and the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) on these and other related topics on emerging financial practices and financial governance.
Recent Presentations Publications and Articles
- Co-Author, "Guide to the Newest IRS Form 990," published by ASAE - The Center For Association Leadership
- Author, "Enron-Proof Oversight," Association Management Magazine
- Author, "Understanding Reserves and Investments," Association Management Magazine
- Author, "The Truth About Audits," Association Management Magazine
- Author, "Funding Your Future," Association Management Magazine
- Author, "An Accounting Perspective on the New Lobby Law," A compliance guide produced by ASAE
Founder, Nonprofit CFO of the Year Awards
Recipient of the Association TRENDS 2011 Top Association Vendor of the Year
Recipient of the 2010 Champions Award by the Greater Washington Society of CPAs
Recipient of the 2008 SmartCPA Award sponsored by Smart CEO Magazine